Can the Church and Pax Romana be seen in the future as creative minorities? Presentation during the Bask – Catalan Forum in Javier (Navarra) 26/28 october 2012.
About the context.
Economic, political and social.
Aimless globalization, in which everything moves.
- emerging countries and multipolar world.
- infinite growth in a finite world.
- Collapse of Europe and North America.
- Collapse of Capitalism?
- Deterioration of the Western middle classes.
- The fraternity is more than an NGO.
Preeminence of media culture of entertainment and immediacy.
- “Homo videns” or mediatic. (Sartori)
- The instability of the liquid society. (Bauman).
- The social networks and the immediacy of everything.
- The colonization of privacy (Habermas)
Devoured by the capitalist “values”.
- “Shopping”, has become the new religion of the British.
- We have become “consumers, competitors and debtors” (Gabilondo).
Without foundational ethical horizons.
- Without the pietism of the “Mayflower” or Catholic personalism as referents of a Christian ethic associated with liberalism.
- The deterioration of public morality.
- New concepts of human dignity and human rights in a multipolar world.
Religious and ecclesial context:
The reappearance of the “religious” in the world
- Iran, Islam. ~ – The emergence of the religious identitarism.
- Rise of evangelical Pentecostalism.
- Crisis of institutionalized religions.
Catholic Church: a vague direction.
- Between Restorationism “Tea Party” and diasporisation: conciliar Catholicism.
- Transparency and Conflict: pedophilia cases, Legionaries of Christ, Gabriele.
- Vatican II a Council for the XXI century? The Synod on the “new evangelization”.
Ways for response: Pax Romana as “creative minority”
The Church as a “creative minority”, “community character.”
- The return to Christendom is not possible. Get rid of old nostalgia
- In light of the Second Vatican Council (to read again):
Centrality of the Word (Verbum Dei)
The Church as the People of God on pilgrimage in the world (Lumen Gentium)
Christocentric anthropology (Gaudium et Spes)
Ecumenical catholicism in dialogue with other religions (Unitatis Redintegratio, Nostra Aetate Dignitatis Humanae)
- But in a different historical context from Gaudium et Spes.
A church that is no longer in the center and acts from the margins. A countercultural Church.
- Recognize our “contraculturality”.
Deconstruct the current hegemonic Western imaginary.
- Where there is an eclipse of God.
- With scientism and relativism as ideologies.
- Entertainment and the renunciation of critical rationality.
- An immanent and pantheistic anthropology.
The need for a cultural mediation
and support a Christian imaginary that makes the human person open to transcendence, “Towards God”:
- “Court of the Gentiles”
- For a “return of the sacred” of quality.
- Focus on the core of the Christian faith.
The program of Cardinal Martini:
- A new spirit of ecclesial conversion.
- The centrality of the Word.
- Reorient the sacraments at the service of life and growth of the people